Friday, October 31, 2008

Always something happening in family history!

By yesterday, Grandma and Grandpa's affairs were pretty much in order, and I had a 'free' day. After lunch I decided I would try to visit Pam, a 2nd cousin who lives 3 miles from Grandma and Grandpa’s home. I called to see if she was home — got no answer, but left a message that I was just calling to say, ‘hi.’ She returned my call while I was leaving a message on her machine. Her message said all was well, she was just cleaning up leaves in her back yard and didn’t reach her phone in time. I decided to forget the phone call — I’d just go over and help her with the leaves.

We have never met before. I ‘met’ her as I was doing family history — enjoyed chatting on the phone about names, dates and places.

Her husband unexpectedly passed away in March.   She emailed me in August to let me know. Since then, I’ve called her a couple times just to chat for a few minutes just to give some variety to her days and help somewhat as she’s adjusting to being alone.

What a moment it was when she opened the door. “Pam?” -- “Peggy?” and then big hugs and laughing and more big hugs. It was so by ‘chance’ that we were able to get together. After my call, she’d run out to buy a newspaper. After returning home, she thought she’d run to the bank, but decided not to go. A minute or so later, the doorbell rang. Not chance, I know! = )

We ended up spending the day together. She took me to see her grandma’s grave — my great aunt. We shared stories and laughed the whole day. By evening, I’d put PAF on her computer and imported 800 or so names — from her granddaughter to as far back as it goes. She was thrilled.

My family just expanded — or so it seems. Next visit, I hope to meet her brother, her son, and their families.

Always something happening with family history! Tooooo fun!

No comments: