I guess because we spent the day in the temple ...
The temple presidency is being released. I've really loved President Hammond -- well, I've really loved his wife. She's one of those unusual people that makes you feel loved and appreciated -- even at first meeting. Somewhat like Brother Blackmer.
I've heard her speak several times before and loved her, but we actually crossed paths one evening. At the temple, Dad and I always take the elevators up, but we always take the stairs down, because the stained glass is so beautiful and you can hear the fountain even 7 stories away. One evening as we were going down, I asked a question and we stopped on one of the landings to discuss it. Not long after, Sister Hammond came up the stairs. We had a short and sweet conversation and then she proceeded up. A few minutes later, as she was on her way down, she greeted us as if we were old friends.
She told a story about how the Church obtained the land for the temple. Under President Kimball's leadership, the decision was made to build a temple in the Washington DC area. A few people came to look over various sites. The site they most liked was the current site, but they were told it was unavailable. They contacted the owners -- 3 Jewish men. The men confirmed what they had been told. Plans for the site were being finalized and would be signed in one week. It was to be an upscale shopping area surrounded by townhouses.
The Church's representatives made their case. The plans they had were for a temple where people would come to worship God. A place of peace. A place of beauty. Would these three Jewish men consider going home and praying about their decision.
The next morning, the call came in. "The land is yours."
Cool.
Current Reading List
7 years ago

2 comments:
That's a fun story about the DC temple. It really is a great site for it, except when people get in accidents staring at the beautiful building surprising them on their daily path around the beltway.
I miss the stained glass in the DC temple. Those stairs were always a pleasure. I walked both up and down.
That is an awesome story!
Post a Comment